Wednesday, March 25, 2009

3/25/2009: Lady's Got Back


Standing in front of Dr. Nahabadian I removed my gown as directed exposing my beautifully reconstructed right breast and my indention with darkened skin on my left side. His eyes immediately moved to my stomach and his lips curled to one side as though he was puzzled. He rolled forward on his stool and proceeded to run his fingertips down my stomach – as though he were performing a tummy tuck. “Nope, that’s not going to work. I’d have to cut you under the belly button from hip to hip to get the amount of skin and tissue I would need,” he traced imaginary lines with his fingers across my stomach. “You are just so tiny.” He instructed me to turn around where he performed the same kneading strokes over my left shoulder blade. “There’s not enough tissue to work with here either,” he said aloud even though we both knew it would be the case since he could barely pinch any tissue. “Go ahead and pull down your pants,” he asked. With my jeans around my ankles Dr. Nahabadian grabbed at the inside of my thigh. “Eh, still not enough,” he said. I looked at him with desperate eyes. I repeated over and over in my head, “Please find something – ANYTHING to make me whole again.” His eyes squinted in deep thought as his lips tightened. “Turn around for me,” he said nodding as though he had figured out the riddle. Lifting my thong strap he squeezed two handfuls at the top of my right butt cheek. “I knew you had it hiding somewhere,” he said as he gave me a little shake. I couldn’t help but laugh.

My surgery is scheduled for May 7. The procedure takes five hours. I will then spend three days in the ICU, have to take two weeks off of work and will need to take it easy for six weeks as I recover. Ugh, another surgery – but at least this one is making me whole again. The surgery is very tricky since I am so petite and my skin has been severely compromised due to the six weeks of radiation I endured. Dr. Nahabadian will have to reconnect each of the blood vessels in order to ensure that the tissue and skin has healthy blood flow. Unfortunately, five percent of these procedures are failures and I have to understand that the new skin and tissue may not take to the damaged area.

Prior to surgery I have to have another PETscan to make sure that I am cancer-free. It is hard to believe that it has already been three months since my last one. If the scan comes back clean, then I will have my mediport removed during my May 7 surgery, which makes me ecstatic. I hate my stupid port. I also need to talk with the Infectious Disease doctors, who saw me both times in the hospital when I had infections, in order to determine which antibiotic I need to go on prior to my surgery – that way we hopefully can avoid an infection.

The purpose of this surgery is to successfully transplant my skin and tissue. I am trying to prepare myself mentally that the new tissue and skin may not initially resemble a breast. In three months I may need a “touch up” surgery in order to tweak Dr. Nahabadian’s work and make sure that I am as symmetrical as possible.

Who would have thought that my butt would make a great breast? So now what are we going to do to reconstruct my butt? Ah, the plot thickens.

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment