Monday, February 14, 2011

My Safety Blanket

Jennifer: I am trying to find a place to donate my wigs.
It is a really hard thing for me to part with them.
I want them to go to a cancer patient.
Matt: That’s good.
Why don’t we take a trip to a hospital and do it in person or something?
Would that mean more?
Or be more meaningful?
Jennifer: Um, well, there was a "wig bin" at my oncology office.
I may contact them and see if they know of any patients that are having financial issues or who are having a difficult time finding a wig.
Matt: Yea
That works too.
Jennifer: I don't know.
I am just weird about it.
I feel like if I get rid of them the cancer will come back.
Matt: No baby.
That’s not true.
Jennifer: I know in my head that it's not true, but I can’t help but feel this horrible anxiety about giving them away.
They were like a safety blanket for so long.
It was like they hid the sickness and I could be normal.
And if I get rid of them my hair will fall out again and I won’t have my disguise.
Matt: Yea.
Everything is going to be ok baby :)

… and to this day I make the effort to research homes for my beautiful wigs, but I still find a reason not to part with them. They continue to keep me safe.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you can keep one or two of your favorite "security blankets" and part with the rest. That way you calm your fear that if you part with the wigs something "bad" will happen again while also helping someone in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the one you find the most special and donate the rest. You will feel great knowing your security blanket can now help another woman through her journey. You will always have the memories!

    Love,
    Lisa Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion ... now to select the one to part with.

    ReplyDelete