Friday, April 12, 2013

Hemoglobin Smemoglobin

I don’t know why, but I have always scheduled all my annual medical appointments in April. I guess I just like to get them all done around the same time so that I can move on with my life and enjoy the more mild weather that comes with spring.

This year was no different. I quickly filled up my calendar with my primary care physical, dentist appointment and eye exam, complete with a retina x-ray. That’s right, I don’t skip out when it comes to my medical care.

At my primary care physical I asked for the works ... if we’re going to do this thing, let’s be thorough. This included a full mark-up of my blood (after fasting for 12 hours for an accurate reading).

My results were an A+. 

The three page report only flagged three tests that were outside the referenced range:

  • My MCHC was low at 31.4 and should be within 31.5-35.7. This is my iron level and I have always been a little low. During chemotherapy I dropped to an anemic level. This number didn’t surprise me considering the bleeding issues I have been experiencing due to my newly found uterine polyp. 
  • My Eos was high at 8% and should be within 0-7%. An absolute eosinophil count is a blood test that measures the number of white blood cells called eosinophils. Eosinophils become active when you have certain allergic diseases, infections, and other medical conditions. No surprise there that my allergies are wreaking havoc on my life when I had my blood work done. 
  • My LDL Cholesterol was high at 105 and should be between 0-99. That one I don’t have a correlation, however my doctor wrote, “These are all fine.” However, I will keep a note and make sure to watch that number next time I have my blood work done. 

I was pleased that my thyroid and calcium, along with all my other numbers, were excellent, since those two were numbers my OB GYN wanted to validate.

No comments:

Post a Comment