Thursday, August 7, 2008

8/7/2008: Simulation

Monday was my "simulation." I wasn't sure what to expect from my radiological oncology team, but the process was pretty painless. Two technicians had me fill out paperwork and consent forms to begin my radiation on Monday, August 11. Once I was undressed they took many pictures of my newly reconstructed body. I then laid on a CAT scan machine and they spent almost a half hour trying to find a position with my left arm raised, neck bent, shoulder rotated and wrist slanted that was comfortable enough to hold for several minutes each day of treatment. Once we found the right balance, they wrote down all the information of the angles and positions in order to put me in the same spot each time I receive radiation. The beams coming off of the CAT scan machine lined up onto my body. They centered me with the beam by taking the sheet under by body and just pulling me where they wanted me. Then they took a red permanent marker and made three tiny x's. One x was drawn between my breasts, and the other two along the sides of my rib cage. The radiological oncology technicians worked with such professionalism and precision. I was beyond impressed with how thorough they were and how kindly they treated me.

Once they had me all lined up, they did a CAT scan which lasted about 10 minutes. I closed my eyes and imagined myself lying on a secluded beach with a warm tropical breeze and the heat of the sun invigorating my body. Just as the cabana boy walked up with my Bahama Mama in hand, the technicians re-entered the room and slowly brought me out of the machine asking me not to move. They gave me two options for my radiation marks. I could either have three tiny permanent tattoos done that would look like freckles, or if I promised to be really good, they would place small, clear stickers over the three red x's and I would need to keep them on for the duration of the radiation treatments. Once I received confirmation that the technicians didn't care which option I chose in order to do their jobs, I quickly opted for the stickers. I have been wearing them for two days and so far so good. I feel like I should be in some espionage or pirate movie with these three red bulls-eyes on my body.

Friday I have my heart scan that I have repeated every three months to make sure the Herceptin isn't affecting my heart too severely, and then I have to go back to the radiological oncology office to have "films" done. I am not sure what all that encompasses, but we will find out soon enough. Monday is the start of the third phase of my journey. I am excited to begin and be completed in six short weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment