Wednesday, February 29, 2012

You are What You Eat

Acupuncture this week was a little different than what I am used to. I told Dr. Carlos Durana that I had been up the night before with a very upset stomach. The day had been very busy and productive, but due to that I felt a little scattered mentally.

He started with 5-6 pins in my back while I sat on the table with my legs dangling off the side. He told me I could lie down, but I told him that I still had the pins in my back.

Dr. Durana: “I took them out as soon as I activated them.”
Me: “But I still can feel them.”
Dr. Durana: “You aren’t feeling the pins; you’re feeling the energy I activated.”
Me: “Can you just double check?”

Dr. Durana laughed, followed my paranoid instruction and assured me the pins were all gone.

I laid down and he moved around the table, as he always does, listening closely to my pulse on my neck, wrists and ankles.

Dr. Durana: “Your pulse on the left side of your body is very different than your right side. I don’t want you to be alarmed by this word, but it’s almost as if there’s a 'blockage' on the left side.”
Me: “What do you mean?”
Dr. Durana: “Right here and here.”

Dr. Durana placed one finger on my left side next to my left breast on my ribcage and the other finger under my armpit toward the top. Both are where I have knots of scar tissue. He has never felt this area before, nor have I ever talked or complained about my scar tissue. I was frozen in shock.

He asked permission to place pins in each spot where I have scar tissue. I’m not going to lie, I was a bit apprehensive and scared, but I agreed. The first pin was painful initially and then it felt as though pressure was released from the area. The second needle into my armpit bent, which is common with scar tissue. The second attempt was successful and the pain and pressure release mimicked the first location. He placed pins on my right side in the same locations in order to balance the body. These spots are believed to connect and harmonize the body in several major organs ... the Yin and Yang. In Chinese Medicine, this path is suppose to open the portals for giving and receiving. He said I have done so much giving lately helping friends and being strong that he wanted to give this area a break and perhaps open it up to more receiving.

Next were my "happy pins." By this, I mean the pins he places in my legs and feet, arms and hands. I also had one between my eyes on my forehead and another in the center at the very top of my head. This pin made chill bumps run from my scalp to my toes. I visibly had goose bumps all over my body.

Me: “What do these pins do?”
Dr. Durana: “These are the locations for joy, happiness, calm and relaxing.”
Me: “Is that why I always see my grandmother, grandfather, Jasper, birds and children when you place these pins?”
Dr. Durana: “Yes, they are your happy places. I am trying to bring some of the positive energy to the surface to help you heal through the grief you are feeling.”

Next he wanted to focus on what I eat; after all, they say 'you are what you eat.' Part of healing the body and mind is about what you are giving your body to fuel it. Logically that makes sense to me. Everything is connected.

I told him what I typically eat Monday through Friday, which is pretty boring.

  • Breakfast: Medium vanilla latte, oatmeal with hot water, or a banana, or yogurt
  • Lunch: Soup with crackers, or cookies, or a granola bar with Vitamin Water Zero
  • Dinner: Something delicious I cook and typically diluted Gatorade

Since I usually don't have protein for breakfast or lunch, Dr. Durana believes that I am trying to "fix" the blood sugar drop and dizziness with the sugars in the Vitamin Water and Gatorade, instead of giving my body protein which will last much longer. Duly noted.

I already did a purge of my refrigerator and pantry over the holiday break and 90% of everything I have at home is low fat, 0 trans fats, organic, wheat and not processed. So, I started the process, but it appears it just needs some tweaking.

He said I need more:
  • fish
  • nuts (I can eat cashews, walnuts, almonds and pecans with no allergic reactions.)
  • berries
  • green tea with honey (to replace one sugary drink a day)
  • yogurt (with nothing fake or sugary added, then add fresh fruit, like berries)
  • apples (He was adamant about apples -- he said it's a cooling wonder fruit.)
  • lactose milk (He wants me to try it with my IBS to see how I feel. I have tried soy milk and had a horrible allergic reaction.)
  • oatmeal, but with milk instead of hot water

In addition to the prenatal/multivitamin I am on called Trimedisyn, he wants me to take the following:

If the lactose milk doesn't work with my stomach he suggested two powders I can use as a protein supplement:
  • Healthy Fit -- 100% egg protein (vanilla or chocolate)
  • BioChem -- whey protein that's lactose free

The first two parts I am going to try ... the powders I plan to hold off on until I try the lactose milk. He said in order for my body and mind to heal and get stronger from having been on chemotherapy, going through radiation, being on the Tamoxifen currently ... and everything else, I need to increase certain vitamins to replenish my body and protect it from infection since my immune system is still compromised. He told me about 80% of our body's immunity is in the stomach and intestines, so if we don't heal my stomach it will make me more susceptible to infection. He said in three weeks I will feel significantly better.

I am going to try it out and be as disciplined as I can be. I know it will certainly make my stomach feel better and I’m hoping the fatigue, anxiety and everything else will follow suit.

We finished the session with him placing two needles directly in my chest. It felt as though they went deep, through my rib cage and into my lungs. I know they didn't really go that deep. He explained that this location allows you to open your heart and receive love.


Namaste'

"I honor the place within you where the entire Universe resides; I honor the place within you of love, of light, of truth, of peace; I honor the place within you, where, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment