Monday, June 9, 2008

6/9/2008: Race for the Cure



"My name is Jennifer Kwiatek and I am 26 years old and battling an aggressive form of breast cancer," I mustered up the energy to say, "And I just finished 18 weeks of chemotherapy." Cynthia Nixon, also known as Miranda from 'Sex and the City,' looked at me with warm eyes. She reached forward taking both of my hands in hers and said, "I am so incredibly proud of you."

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure started a day early for me, since I attended the kickoff cocktail reception at the Newseum in D.C. with Andrew. The event was done with such class and elegance. I was feeling really good for only being seven days out from my last chemotherapy treatment. I drank my pink cosmopolitan, did frequent wig checks to make sure "I was straight," divulged in pink rock candy, did the robot (my signature dance move), and met several sensational women.

In addition to meeting Cynthia Nixon, I also had the opportunity to speak with singer Vanessa Carlton. I told her about my journey and thanked her for being an ambassador for the Race for the Cure. Her mother who was there with her was moved by my story and began to cry. There was another woman who approached me who had heard me talking with Cynthia. She told me about her personal battle and shared words of encouragement. I was truly touched. Two women from Evansville, Indiana shared a lounge ottoman with Andrew and me. They both traveled to Washington, D.C. with several other friends who are all survivors to participate in the race. One woman told me that she was 25 years old when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is now and 18-year survivor with no reoccurrence and was blessed with a beautiful baby girl. They gave me a Susan G. Komen ring and their hometown RFTC pin.

I realized that I have now been initiated into a new organization. Just like being a cheerleader, a sorority sister, an alumnus … I am now part of a new chapter of sisters (and brothers). The support and understanding I feel from this group is one that I cannot find the words to express.


Race Day was one that I will cherish forever. The National Mall was a sea of pink with over 40,000 participants. Walking down the mall and seeing my friends standing under our designated area decked in pink, holding signs and high in spirits, was all it took to move me to tears. It was such a hot day, yet that didn't stop the love and support of my dear friends.

During those three miles my friends constantly checked in on me to make sure I was continuing to brave the sticky and humid weather. It was this unselfishness, awareness and support that truly warmed my heart. We stopped at several points to take photos and wait on others who were following close behind which gave my tired little legs a nice break. Finishing the race was a magical moment. The announcers saw Kelli jumping up and down with our team sign and they said "Team Jen" over the loud speaker as we crossed the finish line.
For those of you who participated in the Race for the Cure and helped us raise our $5,000 goal, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people. Thank you for being you and loving me unconditionally. It is you that has made all the difference in my journey … please know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment