Thursday, July 3, 2008

7/3/2008: Mastectomy


Written by my mother, Judi Kwiatek:

Tuesday, July 1 was perhaps one of the worst days of my life. When Jennifer was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I never realized the steps that needed to be taken to lead us to July 1. We knew she needed a bi-lateral mastectomy and lymph node surgery, but it was always in the distance. Work and things at home kept me busy and my mind away from it all, but only for a time being. Tuesday was a nightmare for me. Jennifer and I made a promise to not cry until it was all over, but when they began to slowly wheel her to surgery, I completely lost control and the nearest person to me to grab and hold me back was my sister. I think had she not been my sister I would have "beat her up", but instead I cried and screamed and simply could not breathe for quite a while.

Surgery lasted about 4 1/2 hours and then another hour in recovery. She arrived off the elevator to her floor at Virginia Hospital Center in great spirits asking for a cheeseburger and how wonderful her breasts looked. She remained in good spirits and I stayed the night with her. She was uncomfortable, but never in severe pain. Sleep escaped her (so naturally it did me as well) and finally at about three in the morning she asked for a sleeping pill. We slept only until five o'clock. As the day went on she made the decision to come home the next day (she had the option to remain a second). The trip home was horrible as we were driving from Arlington to Gainesville in semi-rush hour traffic and terribly bumpy roads. She cried and clutched a blanket the entire trip home and we could not pull into the driveway as it was too bumpy. She settled in and was able to finally sleep.

Every four hours is spent emptying the five drains she has coming from her breast and under her left arm. This has not been a challenge, but keeping her pain at a bearable level has been. She is not really in pain, but tremendously sore.

Today was the day to call the general surgeon Dr. Kenneth Mason, as he said he might have the pathology report. Bright and early the phone call was made and finally this afternoon about 6:00 he called. His report was as such: There was NO cancer found in either breast, although out of the 13 lymph nodes removed from the left arm, four had residual cancer. He indicated that the testing of the tissue and cells was not complete nor had they found the primary source, but he seemed confident that information would come once all the testing was completed. It appears, at present, that Jennifer has escaped Lymphadema in the left arm which is a blessing. She will still need to be fitted for a "sleeve" that she will need to wear when she travels on an airplane.

Thanks to each and everyone of you who have kept her in your thoughts and prayers and have kept our family in your thoughts as well. Her journey is by far not over, but Joe, Joey and I continue the path with her and our thoughts are with the many women who are being diagnosed daily with this terrible disease. Just today Jennifer heard from a friend that her best friend was diagnosed TODAY! This is horrible and must be stopped. We must find out what is making our young women sick. These seemingly healthy women are being diagnosed with breast cancer and the vast majority are under the age of 35. Is it the antibiotics being fed to the animals? Perhaps the radiation of chicken and eggs? Have we become too clean? Something to think about as I am off to take care of my precious Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment