Saturday, July 5, 2008

7/5/2008: Recovery Begins

My dearest friends, today is the first day I feel well enough to write. The last five days I have endured anxiety attacks, severe muscle spasms, intense pain, leaking tubes and draining pumps ... I have been beyond frustrated. However, it was the constant e-mails, phone calls, text messages, flowers and fruit baskets that have given me the strength to continue my fight. Thank you to all of you who have reached out in some way to support me. Please know that it has made all the difference in pulling me out of my darkest moments.

My mother and I have been a team the last five days. She has once again stepped forward as my rock. She sleeps outside my room in a sleeping bag and if I dare make a peep she is by my side. She has constantly been on "drain check" to empty them as they get full. She has given me daily sponge baths and even today shampooed my ever growing dark hair. She sat with me and helped as we changed my dried and bloody gauze pads to replace them with clean ones. Today I was able to remove a wire that stuck into both of my breasts administering pain medication. Once I had pull them both out of my skin, I sat on the toilet and sobbed. Mom gently took a tissue, wiped the tears and said "I know baby. It sucks." It is all so overwhelming at times, although I do my very best not to complain.

I had another first today. I finally went poop. I know, insignificant to most, but since I hadn't gone since Tuesday this was a HUGE accomplishment. I yelled the good news from the bathroom and both my brother and mother praised me like a new puppy. It was hilarious and we all had a good laugh about it.

Speaking of a new puppy ... this week we also welcomed Miss Abagail Marie into our home, which has made recovery so much more manageable. This has probably added more complications for my parents, but it is great for me. Haha! She is a year old Yorkshire terrier weighing only four pounds. She follows me everywhere I go and has become my little companion through my healing process. We even take daily walks, which helps ensure that I do not get an upper respiratory infection. She is an absolute doll and the impact she has made on me during this time in my life is one that I cannot explain. We love her so dearly.

My spirits are high and I am pleased that my body is getting stronger each day. My drains are collecting less fluid which means they can come out sooner. So far, everything is going according to plan. I will call my plastic surgeon first thing Monday morning and hopefully go in for a follow up and possibly have one of the drains removed for good.

Typing is making my muscles strain some, so I must end this note here, but please know that your warm wishes, prayers, kindness, thoughtfulness and support have truly worked. Now that I am feeling better, I am definitely up for visitors so please feel free to stop by and visit if you would like. I'd love some "entertainment."

No comments:

Post a Comment