Monday, February 11, 2008

2/11/2008: Wig Shopping

I had a really rough weekend with the pain from my port. I called my surgeon's office and had the doctor on call paged. He called me back and I explained how black and blue I was down my left side, the horrible swelling, the oozing (eww) and the pain I still have around the port, around my ribs and on my diaphragm. He explained that because of my petite size and lack of fat that the blood that flooded the chest cavity would take some time to be absorbed back into my body and the bruising is just because I am little and there is not a lot of tissue where they placed the port. I also told him how sore my throat is. He told me that when I woke up from surgery screaming that I could not breathe, they knocked me out and scoped me fearing my lung was punctured. Glad no one told me that! The surgeon suggested continuing to take the pain killers and to come into the office Monday if I was truly concerned, but it all sounded normal for someone who is 100 pounds.

Kere, Leslie and baby Hadley went shopping for wigs with me this weekend which proved to be a hilarious adventure. I wasn't necessarily thrilled about the shopping trip, but having my friends with me made it bearable ... hmm, even enjoyable. Kere actually tried on some wigs. (We have photos to prove it.) I spent time with my girlfriends this weekend and even gave one of my wigs a test drive on Saturday night for Girls Night and NO ONE could tell it was a wig. SUCCESS!!! The more time I spent with my friends over the weekend the more strength and courage I was able to gain from them.

Today, I had my bone scan, which was SO easy. (Thank goodness, because I am at a breaking point with being poked and prodded.) It takes 24 hours for that test to come back, but my doctor may wait to have both the results of this test and my heart scan on Wednesday before he talks to me. We are hoping that the bone scan shows that sixth rib as a "hot spot" and no other bones with cancer. I also swung by my surgeons office and had them look at my incision. Same answer ... "you're just tiny, the blood has nowhere to go."

So ... tomorrow I have my chemotherapy information session at the oncologist's office in the afternoon. After waiting an entire month on tests, I am SO ready to get started. After that, I have my heart scan on Wednesday. Then, I start chemotherapy Friday.

That is the latest! I will keep you posted as I find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment