Wednesday, February 20, 2008

2/20/2008: Infection Strikes

It seems as though my overzealous nature has gotten me into trouble. This morning I woke up and wasn't even able to get out of bed. I laid there crying and cursing my fatigued body. I attempted to go into work, but just walking down my three flights of stairs proved to be excruciating.

I called the oncologist and they asked to see me ASAP. Never something you want to hear. I managed to make it to the doctors ... it was just slow moving for this weak, little body. Once there, they took my vitals and did blood work. It only took four times of poking me until they found the vein. Lord, I am tiring of that. My nurse and oncologist both stopped to see me and were worried about nausea. I told them I was eating like a crazy woman and could not stop putting food in my mouth. They laughed and said that was exactly what they wanted to hear. I think they were pleased that my humor and spirit were still intact despite feeling horrible.

My white blood count came back higher than they wanted, which means there is infection/bacteria in my body. Blah. My throat is killing me, so they did a strep swab, but think I most likely have a sinus infection or bad cold. They put me on an antibiotic and told me I should be feeling much better by tomorrow. Thank goodness, because I cannot take this lethargic nature too much longer.

I asked if the fatigue I am feeling is normal after chemotherapy. The nurse said yes and no. Apparently, after your first chemo your body freaks out wondering what the hell you have just done to it. So, for three to four days after you can become very physically tired. The treatments get better from that point on. In my case, she said that I was feeling some of the chemo fatigue, but mostly this infection is what is bringing me down. Stupid infection!

I am home from work today trying to learn how to rest. I am not very good at slowing down and sitting still for too long. I make myself a bit nutty.

I hope you all have a great week and I will keep you posted on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment