Saturday, March 15, 2008

3/15/2008: Challenging Week

This past week was pretty challenging … day 3 and day 7 after chemotherapy are crash days for me. It has taken me a lot longer to bounce back from the fatigue. I was just so much more tired this time around. My sensitivity to light, noises and smells was much more magnified, too. I am doing fine, just really wiped out, so I have been taking extra good care of myself with plenty of naps. My nurse Melanie assured me that my treatments won’t get progressively worse. For some strange reason, some are bad and others are a little more manageable. It is different every time.

Unfortunately, my tummy has been a disaster. I am not sure if this is due to chemotherapy or the antibiotic I was on for my UTI, but the tummy issues have added to the fatigue and serious dehydration. I am doing my best to slow down and really take care of myself. I promise, I am. Ask my friends … I haven’t gone out half as much as I did last time.

I had Herceptin this past Friday and it made me pretty sick (headache, nausea, fatigue). My blood work came back very good though, but I am still anemic. My nurse, Melanie said that when I walked in to the office they thought I was their pharmaceutical representative. The nurses are just shocked at how well I am doing with chemotherapy and how, once again, I don’t “look like I have cancer.” The nurses always greet me with huge smiles and lots of hugs. I just think the world of my oncologist’s practice. They could sense my frustration with just tiring of coming to the office every Friday. They told me to think of my new, fabulous boobs and to start planning an AMAZING vacation. They said not a normal vacation, but an incredible one, like 2 weeks in Tahiti. They said it is important to have something to look forward to. I think this is a GREAT idea! Who’s in?

This week was a little tough on my heart, too. My puppy, Carly Anne, was incredibly sick. She could not walk or lift her head and she refused to eat or drink. We really thought we were going to lose her. She is diabetic and crashed. My parents continue to take her to the doctors each day so that they can try and regulate her sugars. Poor baby. They had to keep her IV in so she had on a pink cast to support her Mom. She is still fighting hard and worrying us to no end. I don’t think I could handle losing her … not at this time in my life. I cannot deal with more bad news.

Other than that, I have been busy chipping in to plan my fundraiser Pink Martini Night on Friday, May 2 from 8-11pm at Eighteenth and RED. I am SO excited! It is going to be tons of fun. Also, I am playing catch up with my thesis. I finally got my topic approved this past week. I am actively seeking my chair and once that is finalized I am hoping I can start completing the meat and potatoes of my document. The next hurdle will be getting my research method approved by the board. Eeek!

My Mom has surgery Monday to remove a tumor in her breast. Please, please, please keep her and our family in your thoughts and prayers. We need to keep my family healthy! Sheesh.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. I am so happy that it is getting warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment