Monday, March 31, 2008

3/31/2008: Round Three

Well, I had round three of chemotherapy yesterday ... which means I am now halfway through. YAY! I seem to be doing better this round then the first two, which is a nice change of pace. However, it was slow getting going yesterday. Once the needle was placed in my port (yuck) the nurse was unable to draw blood. I had to lean back in the recliner with my arms over my head to try to encourage the blood to come out in a steady stream. (Before they can administer the medications, they must first draw blood to get a baseline.) I asked permission to move the needle around inside of the port to try and get a good spot to draw blood. The nurse let me. (I am becoming so brave.) We got a steady stream and were off. My blood work was fabulous, which is always great to hear.

They started me with Benedryl (since I had the allergic reaction to Taxotere last time), the steroid for allergic reaction and another medication for nausea, which I have yet to actually get nauseous. Once I was completely doped up, my friends Kere and Bronwyn arrived and they began the chemo treatment. Kere taught me how to cross stitch during treatment and all five of us (including Dad and Joey) had great conversation. It certainly helps make the time go by quicker with friends there with me. When I go to my last medication (Herceptin) my heart started beating out of my chest and very irregular. They immediately switched me over to plain saline and took my oxygen, pulse, and listened to my heart. I had a couple of waves of this and my nurse seemed to think it was from mixing the uppers and downers which was confusing my body. It eventually evened out, but for a moment I was pretty frightened.

I am at my parents until tomorrow afternoon (Sunday). My body is already starting to slow down on me ... my mind is racing but I feel like I am moving in slow motion. (My little legs shake when I stand for too long.) The sensitivity in my ears is pretty unbearable, but all in all I am holding up pretty well. Please keep sending your warm thoughts and prayers my way. We are halfway there my friends. :) This Friday I have a follow-up appointment with my oncologist, Dr. David Heyer, in which he will probably refer me for mid-way tests, such as an MRI and PETscan, to see where we are at. All very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment