Friday, March 7, 2008

3/7/2008: Slowing Down

I am home from the hospital and received a lot of lecturing. Ugh.

My blood work is average, so medically it seems I am OK. They looked at my platelets, which tells them if I am losing too much blood, and although it was low, it wasn't in the danger zone. They said that my period may slow down, but it may not. As long as my blood work is OK, then they don't care. Awesome!

Apparently, my 10 to 12 hour works days and pushing myself with my masters seems to be causing my body to react in a not so pleasant way ... hence my dizziness and sleeping on my bathroom floor last night. I saw my oncologist, Dr. Heyer, while I was there and he told me that I cannot continue maintaining such a demanding schedule and lifestyle while they are putting "poison" into my body. He said it could be that the chemotherapy is just settling into my body now and that I need to be more aware when I am fatigued and listen to my body. If I continue at the pace I am running at, I could end up in the hospital and jeopardize my treatments. Point taken ... I don't want that! He said more weekends resting and lots of TLC from friends and family is needed. Little does he realize how hard-headed I am. (Thanks for that Dad ... Haha).

He asked if I could work from home some days, which I said yes to. He asked if I could put my masters on hold and I said absolutely not. He laughed, of course, and told me how impossible and stubborn I am. (Harsh, but fair.) He gave me the new nickname of Bionic Woman. I kind of like that. I promised him I would be more intuitive with my body and cut back on some activities in order to get the rest my body obviously needs.

I came home and took a much needed nap which made me feel significantly better. I canceled my evening plans and will be staying home to rest since I have my BIG treatment tomorrow, well and because LOST is on. Please be thinking of me and sending your prayers my way as I have round two of chemo tomorrow. Let's hope this one goes well and kills those slimy cancer bugs. Stupid cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment