Thursday, March 20, 2008

3/20/2008: Happy Easter

Week two and three after treatment are SO wonderful. My body regains its vibrancy and I feel normal again. I still have some minor annoyances that are side effects of the chemotherapy, but basically I return to my regularly scheduled program. I have spent every night this week out with friends and doing fun things with those close to me. I have learned to appreciate each day and live it to the fullest. I believe I did this to some extent before, but I am just aware of how quickly things can change and do my best to appreciate things even more.

Prior to my last treatment my hair started growing back, so now I am experiencing it falling out some, but obviously it is much more manageable at this point, since there is hardly anything left. I have one remaining patch that refuses to fall out. It is smaller than a dime. I showed it to my nurse and she is just astonished. She told me to buy a barrette for that little patch of hair and take a picture because I should celebrate the fact that it's a fighter. She believes it is SO representative of me. Hilarious!

I have been asked by http://www.imtooyoungforthis.org/ to serve on their national leadership council. Since I don't have anything else going on in my life right now I thought it would be a great idea. (Haha … hope you got the sarcasm.) I look forward to helping other young adults afflicted by cancer and being active in bringing awareness to the fact that cancer isn't an old-person disease. I have already met so many amazing people through networks and support groups and I want to help others realize they are not alone in the most challenging time of their life. And if they are too weak to fight, I will take on their battle with all my heart. NO ONE should EVER have to go through this and if they do and I can make it a little less frightening and isolating, I will. This is my new mission in life. Cancer is not contagious and the fact that people are treated differently makes me sick. OK, that's enough of that rant for one day, but be prepared to hear more frustration from me.

I am looking forward to the remainder of the week and the upcoming weekend since I will be spending it with my friends and those close to me. I am not a huge fan of Easter (if you know me, then you know my horrific Easter bunny story), but it will be nice to be with my family on Sunday.

Thank you all for your support, prayers, prepared dinners (YUM!), gifts, hard work on my upcoming fundraiser and warm thoughts … it all means so much to me. I am just so incredibly humbled by the love you have shown me and your willingness to wrap me in your arms and travel on this journey with me. I cannot imagine that I will ever be able to express how I feel. Please know I adore you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment