Tuesday, March 4, 2008

3/4/2008: Beauty in the Breakdown

Well, it appears that I am finally getting a bit of a break. The hair on the rest of my body has decided to slow down considerably. I was in the shower this morning and realized I had not shaved in a week ... nor did I need to. SWEET! My morning routine with no hair on my head or body is now about 15 minutes. I could seriously get used to this. Now, if my eyebrows and eyelashes fall out, I may cry.

No new aches or pains, just the same old ones. There are a few patches of hair left on my head that are hanging on for dear life, which I find to be admirable. The nerves in my hands come and go thanks to the Taxotere. I could not button my shirt this morning, so I came to work and asked my co-worker, and friend, Sarah to please help me. Strangely enough, none of this embarrasses me. I just go with the flow. My co-workers are awesome and have become accustomed to my strange requests. They realize I am OK with talking about my cancer and even joking about it. I think they appreciate my ability to laugh at myself and not take anything too seriously. Life is too short to be that serious and focused on the negative. My Dad always told me that it takes the same amount of energy to complain as it does to find a solution. I choose to invest my time wisely.

This week has been a busy one. I work for the digital team at Gannett in Tyson's Corner as a Product Manager and we launched our Video Network this week. It's my baby! It was a tight deadline (especially with all my medical appointments), but the documentation is out the door and now we white knuckle it and wait for the drop. We have 108 affiliate sites to implement the product, so I foresee a ton of questions ahead since my name and contact information are on the document. Eeek! Gotta love a challenge ... I certainly do!

I am only a month into writing my thesis and I am already over it. Not really, but it is tough to juggle with work and cancer treatments. Both my adviser and professor think I am crazy (harsh, but fair), although they say I am ahead of the other students in the class, so they won't keep telling me that I am nuts. What else is a girl supposed to do at 4 am? I have learned that writing your thesis comes with a lot of criticism and rejection. It's rough on a writer's ego, but I try to let it roll off my back and not sting too much. I think the rejection and push back without the cancer would be much more bearable. Hopefully you understand what I mean without me having to spell it out. This week I am finalizing the theory I plan to apply to my thesis topic and over the next three weeks I will be completing the literature review. By the end of May, when I complete my chemotherapy, I should be halfway finished with my thesis. Pretty aggressive, but that's how I like it.

I hope you all are having a great week. I am anxious about round two of chemotherapy on Friday, so I am trying to stay busy the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment