Saturday, April 19, 2008

4/19/2008: Round Four

Round four of chemotherapy has been my best one so far! My nurses hooked me up and drew my blood first. My blood work came back better than it has any of the other times. I am still anemic, but my number was much better. And my white blood count (immunity) is higher than they expected, which means my body is making itself better on its own.

My nurses gave me my pre-meds (steroid for allergic reaction and another medication for nausea) which they always do as a precaution, then an IV of Benedryl. By the time my company got there (Aunt Patty and Ashley) my speech was slurred and mid-sentence I would forget what I was talking about. My guests were patient with me and understood that I was just dopey from the medication. They changed the order of my chemotherapy medications this time, however. They started with Herception, then Taxotere, since I have had allergic reactions to them in the past and wanted to give them to me following the Benedryl. Lastly, they gave me the Carboplatin. I had no allergic reactions, or any issues at all for that matter. The nurses also confirmed how great my MRI results were that I got back last week. This just lifted my spirits even more!

When I got home I was not my typical sleepy, cranky self. I laid out in my parents front yard and sunbathed. (Don't worry my nervous Nellie's, I asked my nurses for permission and wore sunblock to protect myself.) It felt so good getting some ray. I found myself in great spirits yesterday and pretty spunky. By dinner time I started having my typical side effects that I usually don't get until Monday (sensitivity with my hearing and sight, crankiness from starting to feel slowed down, numbness in my fingers and arms, shaky legs, etc.) ... two days ahead of schedule. Last chemo treatment my side effects came one day in advance, this time I am two days ahead of schedule. I am hoping this means that I will feel better sooner, too. Wouldn't that be nice for a change!?

All in all, I am doing better than I have with all my other treatments. I actually feel pretty good. Maybe I will layout a little this afternoon and try to sweat out some of this icky medicine. Sounds like a good plan of action to me.

Thank you all for your texts, e-mails, phone calls and gifts. It means the world to me. Four treatments down and only two to go. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment