Sunday, April 6, 2008

4/6/2008: The Baby Grape

I was washing my red grapes today and the tears ran down my dry, peeling cheeks … I cannot remember ever appreciating things in my life like I do now, or being this fulfilled and happy.

I had my Herceptin treatment today that I have every Friday. Earlier this week I had some upper respiratory problems, so prior to getting treatment, my nurse Jessi had to get approval from my oncologist, Dr. Heyer, to continue the Herceptin. The nurses checked my oxygen and listened to my chest. Everything was great … even my blood work. I was told the rustling in my chest was most likely allergies and that the show could go on.

Dad and I sat during treatment and shared our favorite recipes as we watched the Cooking Network. Today was a good day and I was just beaming about the meeting I had this morning, my interview with Hannah from the Gannetteer yesterday, dinner with Dan who just returned from Egypt, time spent with Drew and the other events from the week. I know it cannot be easy for my Daddy to watch his little girl go through all this, but he still manages to give me a smile when those beautiful green eyes swell. When he gets to that point he offers me a Frappuccino or Ginger Ale that he always seems to have stashed away for my treatments. That's Daddy's cure for all ... he knows that a Frappuccino is the key to my heart.

Dr. Heyer came to visit me during my treatment, which was a pleasant surprise. He asked about the respiratory issues and how I was coping with my third round of chemotherapy. We talked and joked for awhile and Dr. Heyer asked how my incision was from where I had the hockey puck-sized lymph node removed mid-January. I told him other than some toughness along the actual incision I felt nothing unusual. He said he wanted to do an exam of the area and my breast after treatment. He said if nothing was there he didn't see a reason to do midway testing. I started pouting and he told me I could talk him into anything. He agreed to an MRI this Wednesday at noon. YAY! This will tell us how well the chemotherapy is working. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for great results.

After my treatment I went back to an examination room and undressed for my exam. Dr. Heyer came in and the first thing he asked me was "How's Dad holding up?" (Are you trying to make me cry, Heyer? Sheesh.) He said, "It must be so hard for your parents. I couldn't imagine my baby going through this. (I was choking back the tears.) Dr. Heyer felt around my incision then looked at me. He said "I don't believe this. Your lymph nodes have completely shrunk and feel normal. I really don't believe you've improved this much already." I just beamed. I could not hide my excitement. He completed the breast exam and said "I am very, VERY pleased." He said in addition to my lymph nodes shrinking, my blood work, weight, side effects … everything has been just extraordinary. Typically, they have to adjust treatment and change regimens with patients, but I have just been a stellar patient. (Again, I think Milano cookies have something to do with it.) He did his usual threatening of taking away my BlackBerry during office visits and I joked back with him to just try. He's an amazing doctor.

I left Daddy with a hug and a kiss, went to the grocery store and came home. Washing my grapes I reflected on the day and how truly blessed I am. I got to the last grape in the bag … it was the baby. I giggled a little remembering growing up when Daddy would go grocery shopping on the weekends and come home and wash the grapes like I do now. He would yell for me to come into the kitchen. He would tell me that he had found a "Jennifer-sized grape" … the baby. He always saved them for me. The tears rolled down my face holding the Jennifer-sized grape in my hand and marveling at how much I love my friends and family and how truly blessed I am. Today was such a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment